Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Inactivity: Thing of the Past

I feel like I finally regained control of my life.

Maybe.

I at least started being proactive instead of waiting for a lightening bolt of clarity to strike me, sitting on my couch for ever.

EIGHT, yeah eight!, applications were sent yesterday. Not really holding my breath for any of them, but I can say I did it and that was the important thing. They're floating out there in the internet email ether and though I may never know if they reached their final destination it feels good to do something again.

I will never be able to fully retire though. I know that now. People like me are not good at being left to their own devices. We need a purpose, a reason to get out of bed in the morning. It's much too easy to sit in bed until 11 every day, waiting for something that may never come.

So if you live overseas and are contemplating coming home, let me put this to you: get a job first. Have something, anything to come back to. Don't set it aside and wait until the perfect thing comes along, because you probably won't recognize it when it does. Rarely do we get something perfect. We have to make it perfect for ourselves. That's the most important thing to remember, I feel like I think about this alot: everything is what we make it. So don't make it suck. Make it more awesome. (To paraphrase my new favorite youtube: Kid President. If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and watch it. That kid is amazing!!!)

Kid President's Pep Talk

No comments:

Post a Comment